IstraNova Travel Agency




The town of Pula weaves a colourful exciting history with modern times. Built on the end of a beautiful bay and upon seven hills, Pula has many wonderful stories from its long history and new ones are still being written.


Pula arose upon a hill called Kastel 3,000 years ago as a fort of Histrions. From the prehistoric fort just the circular forms of two main streets remain today. The real history of Pula started with the Romans. Back then, it was called "Colonia Pietas Iulia Pola".

The most famous monuments in Pula are the Amphitheatre, the Triumphal Arch of the Sergi family and the Temple of Augustus. Many artists and builders lived in Pula in Roman times, describing the buildings which were the archetypes of the culture.


Amphitheatre was built in the 1st century B.C. and hosted gladiatorial and chivalrous fights.

It is one of the best preserved examples in the world and gives a rare insight into the unique technical and technological solutions.

It was built along the main road Via Flavia, and could seat up to 25,000 spectators.


Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary dates from the 4th century.

In front of the basilica, there were the Baptist chamber and the Bishop’s Palace.


Augustus Temple is dedicated to the first Roman emperor, Augustus, and also to the goddess Roma, the patron of the Roman state.


Communal Palace contains the entire history of Pula observed through architectural stratigraphy of antiquity, romanesque, gothic, renaissance and baroque to the present.


Early Christian basilica Maria Formosa is a part of the assembly of the Benedictine abbey built in the 6th century. The basilica is in a dilapidated condition, with the chapel the only preserved part.


Triumphal Arch was part of the structure of the town’s gate and faced towards the town’s main street leading to the forum. It is a superb architectural achievement built in the 1st century B.C. and belonged to the family Sergi.


Hercules Gate is the oldest preserved monument of Roman culture dating from the 1st century BC. Hercules was once the patron of the town. The inscription at the door dates the establishment of the Roman colony Pola to the year 45 B.C.


More visitors’ attractions are Giardini, the Roman theatre, the Venetian fortress, monastery and church of St.Francis...


As the largest town in Istria, Pula offers, exceptionally rich history; a diverse selection of food and wine; rich museums and galleries; and many concert events and great nightlife.



The Brioni Islands are situated off the southwest Istrian coast.

It is an oasis of the magnificent harmony of man and wildlife.


The Islands were declared a national park in 1983.

Brioni consists of 14 islands and islets, of which the Veli Brion and the Mali Brioni are the biggest ones.


Around 700 plant species and 250 bird species have been recorded on the islands. Here you can see the human achievements of modern times, but also the antiquity remains, and the traces of the dinosaurs that have walked on this earth.


The islands are also known for the political activities of Marshall Josip Broz Tito, president of former Yugoslavia.


The introduction of the Veli Brion is a tour of the safari park, Byzantine Castrum, Roman residential villa in Verige Bay, and all the other island’s beauties.

The tour takes place on a specially adapted golf cart, and is obligatorily guided.


The coasts are mostly low and rocky, but easily accessible.

Veli Brion is partly cultivated into a harmonious landscape of lawns and parks.


The sea is almost 80% of protected space of the national park, which contains all the elements of the maritime eco system of the Mediterranean.




Poreč is the most visited seaside resort in Croatia.


Rivers of people daily flow through its streets during summer months.

The town is abundant in colours, sounds and fragrances.


The Poreč Riviera offers the most beautiful coasts bathed with the warm sea, isolated beaches, sport events, night clubs, and numerous bars and restaurants.


Here you can find good fun till late in the evening, and also many open air concerts.


We recommend what to visit in Poreč

The Euphrasian Basilica is the most valuable cultural monument in town;

House of Two Saints is a small Romanesque storey in St.Mauro’s street;

The five sided Tower is located at the end of Decumanus street;

The Romanesque House is a building built in 13th century. There are also the Large Temple and Neptune’s temple;

The Gothic House;

The Istrian Assembly-Gothic Franciscan church;

The Marafor-Forum Romanum from the 1st century, the Round tower from the15th century and the Zucchato Palace;


The mild Mediterranean climate, fertile ground and lush vegetation have led to Poreč’s status as a unique holiday destination.




Motovun is a mediaeval town built upon a conical hill and sleek plateau, dating from the time of prehistoric fort. It is enclosed in walls in the form of a ring and two half rings.


Motovun is the best preserved medieval fortification on the Istrian peninsula.

Material remains found here date from 1500 year B.C.


The governance of the town often changed, until 13th century when the Venetian rule began.

At that time Motovun began to take on the modern-day appearance of the town.


Motovun’s attractions

The late renaissance church of St.Stephen, a bell tower with biforas originating from the 13th century; the town gate Porta della Madonna from the 14th century; the church of st.

Anthony of Padua from 15th century;

The streets Borgo and Gardizol with houses dating from 14th century;

The Hospice of 1622;

The church of St.John the Baptist from 1521.


Taking a walk into the Motovun forest, which is a designated forest-park, the very luck visitor may find mushrooms truffles. Alternatively, we can organise a search with professionally trained dogs to find the truffles.


In the times when Venetia ruled, wood from this forest was exported for the production of high quality shipping material. One of the workers in Motovun forest was Veli Joze, of whom the acclaimed author Vladimir Nazor wrote a book.

Motovun is rich with water. There are three sources of drinkable water, six capped sources, undrinkable water and is also rich with subterranean rivers flowing from the southeast to the northwest.


Today the annual “Motovun film festival” consolidates the works of artists from all over the world.

It is also interesting in its microclimate suitable for balloonists who can fly there throughout the year.

To reach Motovun, without using the road, one can take a walk along the 1052 steps. A challenge for the bravest!




The town of arts, Grožnjan, is surrounded with magical white land and cheerful green hills.

It is very popular destination for those who are discovering the Istrian treasure chest.


Grožnjan is rich with vineyards and olive groves, but also with beautiful places, wooden citadels, old churches and prehistoric sites.


Grožnjan has interesting town gates and walls from the 15th century, the church of St.Roko and St.Martin, Fonticus-the town’s gallery, heraldic collection of the town of Grožnjan, parish church of st.


Vitus and st.Modest and Crescentia, the church of st.Cosmas and Demian and the chapel of St.Ghost, the St.John the Baptist church, and St.Florian church.

Grožnjan is home to many domestic and foreign artists with 28 galleries, the largest of which is the town gallery Fonticus with works of visual artists from all over the world.


In summer months, the town provides a stage for many jazz and classical musicians.

Grožnjan – a small town of great cultural significance!


Hidden secrets Of the istrian treasure chest


One of the most attractive places to visit in Istria is the old village of Kotli.

The village which has only 15 houses, is located east of Buzet, in the valley of Rečina, the river also known as Mirna (meaning "quiet").


In past centuries, Kotli was economically the largest and strongest village in the Hum area. However, by the last census, Kotli had the grand total of 1 inhabitant.


The River Mirna falls over the rocks in cascades through the village, carving stone vase hollows.

In Kotli, Mirna encounters the life in the richness of the mills from the past times, while the old bridge is still connecting the land and the water in pending of the return.



In the deepest interior of Istria, between Pazin and Buzet, in the middle of nowhere, a tiny little town Draguć is located.


It was founded around the mediaeval citadel of the same name, on the crest of a hill.

In 1102 it was mentioned as Dravuie for the first time.


Draguć was conquered by the Patriarchate of Aquileia, the Counts of Gorizia and Austro-Hungarians.

It was destroyed and burned by Turks and Venetia, Uskoks and Austrians; it was attacked by the plague and cholera. It is a real miracle that it still here today.


Attractions include the St.Elisha church, the Holy Rosary church of Our Lady of Rosary, the house of captain Draguć, the renaissance tower, St.Roko’s church and the old entrance to the citadel.



On the top of the 240 m high hill, between Grožnjan and Oprtalj, an agricultural little place of fields, orchards and olive groves nestled – Završje.


The little town was once guarded with the double walls and it had two gates, only one of which is visible today, and that is the one with the ancient bas-reliefs of the Contarini family which ruled here for three centuries, and with their coat of arms.


The town was built on the site of a prehistoric citadel, which was mentioned for the first time in historical records in 1102.


It is interesting to visit the Parish church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St.Roko’s church, the church of St.Primo and St.Felician near the village Čirkoti and the Romanic church of St.George.



On the hill above the source of the Mirna river, on an isolated point, 14 km southeast from Buzet, a town called Hum was settled.


It belonged to the Aquileia Patriarchs, to Venetians, and it perished in the stumbles of Uskoks.

From the western part the town is closed with the wind of town’s fortifications, and the other part of it is composed of interconnected outside parts of houses.

A tower is situated near the town gate.


We recommend visiting the parish church of Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Romanesque burial chapel of St.Jerome.

The Glagolitic Alley ends in Hum.


Hum is famous as the smallest town in the world.

It has 17 inhabitants and preserved town institutions.




A vast field that stretches out beneath Gologorica and reaches the Plomin bay is called Gologorički dol (Gologorica Valley).


Here you can enjoy unspoilt nature and a lovely mild microclimate.

The magical landscape, peace and the immense expanse of green will welcome you as you arrive.


Here you can see Boškarin, indigenous Istrian cattle, roaming as well as horses, donkeys, ducks and other domestic animals.

If you are a lover of peace and quiet, you’re in the right place here!




Rt Kamenjak (Cape Kamenjak), the peninsula of Premantura, is the southernmost point of Istria.

The positive energy and the charms of natural beauty simply radiate here. As early as 4,000 B. C. communities were established here.


Each culture that passed through left its mark on this place.

The Austro-Hungarian monarchy built bunkers here that are visible even today. In 1966, the cape was declared a protected area, and from then it experienced a renaissance in its diversity and beauty.


Biological diversity of flora and fauna is real refreshment for the soul! 591 botanical species live here, from which the patchwork of scents and colours is fulfilled with grasslands of the medicinal sage (salvia officinalis) and feather-faces juniper (stipo-salvetium officinalis).


Rt Kamenjak is 3,400 m long, between 500 to 1,600 m wide, and the coast line is 30 km long.

On Kamenjak all the mediaeval elements are united: water, land, air and fire.


The sea dictates the microclimate conditions, and considering the altitude, the cape does not attract many clouds which quickly drift away with the wind.


An educative recreational path was built here in 2010, which can be visited on foot or by bicycle, "Dinosaurs roads".

It consists of natural sized models of dinosaurs which used to walk on Rt Kamenjak.



Lim Channel, also known as Lim Fjord, is one of the most beautiful natural features of the Istrian peninsula. The channel is 10 km long and from both sides it is girdled with cliffs.


Its name comes from the Latin word "limes" which means a border, which it was in times past, between the regions of Pula and Poreč.

The name Lim Fjord was created in 1958 when a film called "The Vikings" was filmed here, with Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh playing the main roles.


Today it is a landscape of a channel; the sea and the seabed are a protected reserve.

Fish and shellfish are cultivated here. Near the Lim channel is Romualdo’s cave.


A former member of the Benedictine order, known for divination and sorcery, he withdrew to the Captain’s cave after the monastery in Kloštar was built.

The cave is 105 m long and people used to believe that demons lived here.


Romualdo lived here for two years.

After he left the cave, members of the local population started visiting it.